Aaron Lane and Belle
Vista Court are short streets lying behind the Faculty Apartments on
Faculty Drive, North.
Aaron Lane begins
at Faculty Drive, North, between apartment units five and six, and runs
west for one block. At that point, Belle Vista Court begins, and runs
to the south of Aaron Lane. It, too, is one block long.
The recent history
of this area begins with the purchase in the late 1940's by W. C. Aaron
and wife Rosa Anna Aaron of a part of a subdivision known as Oak Crest
No.3. After Mr. Aaron died in 1952, Rosa Anna Aaron became sole owner
of this property.
there was to be one street, Belmont Court, running from Rosedale Circle
through into the present property. However, when Wake Forest College
decided to occupy the present campus, Mrs. Aaron negotiated with the
College in order to obtain better access to the property, and to have
a market for the lots with the influx of College personnel.
A deal was worked
out whereby the present Aaron Lane would give access through College
property. In return, Mrs. Aaron agreed to sell the first five lots of
the twelve available on the present Belle Vista Court to faculty members
at the same price charged by the College for lots on Faculty Drive.
The present street
names then were adopted. Aaron Lane is an obvious family recognition.
Mrs. Aaron's daughter, Belle Aaron Montgomery, was the inspiration for
the choice of the name Belle Vista Court.
Robert G. Deyton,
Vice-President and Controller, made the first purchase in 1954, buying
the two lots at the end of Belle Vista Court, across Wake Forest Drive
from what then would be the President's home. Since that time, all original
occupants of houses on Belle Vista Court and Aaron Lane have been faculty
members. As of January 1, 1995, seven of the twelve houses on the two
streets still are occupied by the original owners.