|Welcome freshmen and welcome back returning students! The 2007-2008 school year is well underway and what better way to get into the swing of things at Wake than participating in community service with Rotaract Club!
Here are some of the things we can look forward to participating in this school year:
- Project Pumpkin: This is the Volunteer Service Corps annual Halloween carnival which brings over 1,000 children from the Winston-Salem community to campus for trick-or-treating, live student entertainment, carnival games, and much more.
- Operation Christmas Child: This is our major service project for the fall semester which benefits thousands of children around the world every year. Last year we raised money and supplies for the shoeboxes and sent them off to brighten the lives of those less fortunate during the holiday season. You can find pictures of this project on our Photos page.
- First Annual Business Luncheon: This is our major professional development project for the 2007-2008 school year. We will have several different Rotary members from our district speak about their careers and their involvement in Rotary, our parent organization, to interested and highly-motivated students . A catered meal will be served while students have the opportunity to interact with one of the speakers on a personal level.
- Big Brown Box Project: This is our major service project for the spring semester, formerly known as the Blue Barrel Project. We will collect school supplies for the children in Sierra Leone, Africa so they can have educational opportunities that most young people in the United States take for granted. Check out some of the photos on our Flickr page (click on the badge in the Photos page labeled Blue Barrel Project) to see some of the communities and people this project has affected.
- Other potential service opportunities include Habitat for Humanity, Winston-Salem Health and Rehabilitation Center, Kidsfest, D.E.S.K., Campus Kitchen or whatever else you want to be involved in!
As always, the direction of the club falls in the hands of its members. We have a unique opportunity as Wake Forest students to really give back and make a difference in other people's lives. We are always looking for new members and there are many opportunities for leadership within the organization!